[Wine] Re: Problems with wincfg

David Bailey wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 18 16:40:27 CDT 2012

Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 15:37 -0500, David Bailey wrote:
>

> > I don't really understand, surely the very first line of wine's main()
> > could contain a test for super user - just attempt to make a directory
> > inside /etc - should do, but I am sure their are neater methods.
> >

> There's a much easier way:
>
> if (strcmp(getenv("USER"), "root") == 0)
> if (!run_as_root_ok)
> {
> fprintf(stderr, "Error: wine is being run as root\n");
> exit(EACCESS);
> }
>

> Martin

Well yes - though I would prefer a dialog box - wine tends to spew out quite a few errors to the console even for working code - they tend to get ignored, and the program might not be interactive.

The point is, even when you know about the problem, it is so easy to make a mistake. For example, I use Notepad++ under wine, so I am invoking wine all the time.

David