[Wine] Re: AMD/ATI or Nvidia

Alex_G wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 2 02:14:50 CST 2012

jjmckenzie wrote:
>  wrote:
>
> No Linux video driver does DirectX to OpenGL conversions, Wine does
> that.  The problem is the speed of conversions and whether OpenGL is
> running in software or hardware.  nVidia appears to use their GPU to
> do OpenGL calls and AMD/ATI uses software.  Thus the slowdown when
> Wine does the call conversion and then again when the OpenGL call is
> converted again to proprietary calls for the video card.
> Again, this is how it appears.  This may not be how the conversions
> are actually completed.

Hi! Excuse me, can't find answer with googling.
So, asking here, therefore:
1. Are those conversions or translations using CPU to process the DX>OpenGL calls on the fly?
2. Why it needs to be converted? Does it affects on performance?

Sorry for off-topic. Don't want to create another for these, as seems, related questions. =)