[Wine] Re: Civilization IV (Direct2Drive)

MisterWheeler wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 4 08:07:36 CST 2012

Thanks, FCMartins, but the issue is rather different. I read in the HOWTO that Oberon has a launcher program distinct from the game program executable, and the serial key is kept in the registry. With D2D Civ4, the D2D registration program is part of the game program executable itself, so that any attempt to run the game halts with attempted launch of the registration program; all that happens is that that window displaying html and javascript code pops up, but nothing is clickable in it. The javascripts themselves seem to be incorporated into the executable as well, because I cannot find the files anywhere in the installation directories. Another difference is that with Oberon, the serial keys go into the registry, but with D2D Civ4, the serial key is translated into a number of files stored in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trymedia.

I looked at the directory structure of the wineprefix, and I can't tell for sure what directory is the equivilent of Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. As mentioned, I made a number of guesses, and copied the Trymedia folder over from my old Windows installation, but no go.

Someone reported making this work in wine, so hopefully there is a solution out there somewhere. I'm trying to switch my family computer over to Linux, and getting this game to work here will greatly lessen the resistance. :)

Have a great day.