[Wine] Extremely bad performance in games

Vincent123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 9 03:11:07 CST 2012

Hello everybody,
the problem is that I have awful performance in games.
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.66 GHz (q9400)
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz
Video: HIS Radeon HD 4850 1024 MB
OS: Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64
Wine: 1.4-rc6
The video driver is proprietary, the latest one from the official ATI website.

The game I'm trying to run is GTA IV. Yes, it's not kinda 'light' game, but it used to give me around 30 FPS on Windows, on Linux it gives me only 3 FPS.
I know that performance must be slower, but should it be THAT much slower?
On Windows I used to play 1920x1080 with medium settings and it was okay, on Linux it gives me 3 frames and it doesn't matter which resolution or settings I use.

Any ideas? I see people running the game on double-cored CPUs and cards like nVidia 9xxx, this is so damn unfair :(