[Wine] Correcting wine so as to get an app working

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 10:39:28 CDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 15:54, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've read the Wine documentation but it doesn't help much in finding out
> when a developer will look at a bug in Wine preventing an app working. I
> want to get Basic4android working properly: it installs OK but it it has
> a critical runtime problem. The bug is now marked as Confirmed and I've
> put a comment on the app's WineHQ webpage asking when a developer will
> look at the bug but without response. Any ideas please?

The fact is there are many bugs and not many developers. You can't
expect to report a bug and have it fixed overnight, even if everyone
would want that.
Regarding when the bug will be fixed, it's impossible to say, but your
bug was created just 10 days ago, so please be a bit patient (some
bugs needs years to be fixed, some mere days).
A good move to (help) get bugs fixed, if it hasn't been changed for a
long time, is to retest with the latest wine version, so some dev is
more likely to work on it. Also it's possible that nothing was changed
on the bug report, but the bug got fixed somewhere else.

Also don't put so many things in the tar.gz, e.g. you add the
screenshots that were already attached to the bug report.
It's better to attach relevant individual files to the bug report
(much easier as well).

To summarize, facilitate the devs work as much as possible by timely
responding to terminal logs/other requests, checking regularly if the
bug still persist after some time has passed, ...
Adding comments asking when a bug will be fixed won't help at all, and
may actually be counter-productive.

Frédéric

PS: in one of your comment, you said you couldn't attach your 2.6 MB
Temporary.tar.gz, which is weird since the limit is 10 MB. Maybe a
temporary server glitch?