[Wine] User Interface for Wine?`

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Mar 24 00:19:49 CDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 11:36 PM, Lynn wrote:
> Friday, March 23, 2012, 12:55:58 AM, you wrote:
>
>> Well I see that I can add applications....but how do I get that configured?
> I  think Doug meant you to do this in the terminal, on the
> command line.
>
> Open a terminal, change to the directory the executable is
> in, and do:
>
> wine [file].exe
>
> Where [file] is the executable name.
>
> I think that's what he meant :-)
>
> Best -

I guess I wasn't clear. I said to unpack the file using the terminal, or
console.
Once you have unzipped it, go to your file manager--in my case, that's
Dolphin.  Maneuver to the directory where the file is. If you left-click
on the file
_in Dolphin_ it will open in its graphic version, as if you were running
Windows.
Do that, just to make sure it's working.  Now Right click on the file
and select
copy.  Move your mouse to someplace on the desktop and right-click again.
Select paste.  You will create an icon that says "DOS" in the middle,
and under
it will be the file name, in this case, Convert.exe.  Now if you
left-click on the
icon, the file should open once again in graphic mode, just like Windows.

In the case of convert, if you try to run the file out of the terminal,
(type
convert, not convert.exe) you will get a text version of the file, which is
rather confusing, but presumably you could use it that way.

I hope that clears it all up.  Sorry for any confusion.

--doug