[Wine] Re: New Ubuntu user, read FAQ, need help testing Galactic Civili

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 30 10:38:27 CDT 2012

thomasmbrooks wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who responded attempting to help. I discovered several facts which were not clear to me before and might be of use to people having problems in the future. (Maybe some of these belong in the FAQ ?)
>
> 1) What Canonical's Synaptic package manager lists as wine-1.3 is actually wine-1.4 (or the wine --version command is lying to me.) Lesson: Trust what wine says about itself, not what the distributor says.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0bae04b4126dffb8a08bf020982badacb6f367ff
The information about the wine1.2 misnaming has been there for two years; I just updated it to mention the current problem you identified.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_program

> 3) Wanting an icon I can click on,

Running the program's installer should create menu items and desktop links for most apps. You should only have to manually create links for apps that don't have installers or ones whose installers don't create menu items in Windows, or if you've disabled winemenubuilder.

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-27c7adc4eef7b58912198d92de654c498f585d86

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ