[Wine] serial communication

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Mar 30 19:16:04 CDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 14:10 -0500, ron r wrote:
> Hello.   I have tried wine with several open-source systems (Knoppix,
> PC-BSD, Ubuntu, Fedora), running a windows program that uses serial at
> 4800 baud to communicate with a measuring device.   I notice that wine
> behaves a little differently with each operating system I run it on,
> using the exact same hardware (just a different hard drive each time).
> I also tried wine with 4 different computers, with the various
> operating systems.

What serial port hardware are you using? IME this matters a lot.

I use the Fedora distro. Many releases and 6 years ago, when I started
to run Windows apps that use a serial port to talk to external devices I
had no joy at all with attempts to use USB<->Serial adaptor and
installed a multiport serial board with real 16650 UARTS on it. This
'just worked' and I've had no problems with using it for the same app
over many Fedora and Wine upgrades. I've never needed to reinstall the
app: the automatic Wine prefix upgrades have also 'just worked'.

Recently I replaced the PC, transferring the multiport card into the new
box and upgrading from F13 to F16 at the same time. This app worked
first time when tried after the upgrade.

Martin