[Wine] Re: Error loading mfc42.dll - failed (error c000007b)

cpighin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 3 07:36:47 CDT 2012

:D  For those interested, hereunder is the list of actions taken to run the application after the installation of Birthday Reminder 1.61 on Ubuntu 12.04

1) I installed wine by Package Manager which installed also:  wine-gecko1.4, wine-gecko1.4:i386, wine1.4, wine1.4-amd64, wine1.4-common, wine1.4-i386:i386, winetricks.
2) I verified that Wine was listed in Application menu
3) I configured Wine by the graphic tool as follow:
- Applications Tab> Predefined setting> Windows version: Windows 7
- Drives Tab> "Automatically detect"
click on Apply, than OK
 4) I installed the necessary library MFC42.DLL by terminal and command "winetricks mfc42" (after few seconds window "VCRedist Installation" popped up to request confirmation for Licence Agreement  and after this library /home/claudio/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64/mfc42.dll was installed).
5) Than I had success on installing Birthday Reminder 1.61 by opening its setup program with Wine.
6) I proved that the application was running by console command and by one of the two dedicated launchers within Wine.
7) In order to run Birthday Reminder in Ubuntu environment as well as in Windows (referring to the same file as in Windows), I created a symbolic link in "/home/claudio/.wine/drive_c/users/claudio/Application Data/Zhorn Birthday Reminder/bdays.ini", to file "/home/claudio/.wine/drive_c/users/claudio/Application Data/Zhorn Birthday Reminder/bdays.ini" which contain application data.
8 ) Finally I checked that the application was working properly in both systems.

Claudio :D