[Wine] Re: Wine directory system

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun May 6 20:53:04 CDT 2012

Caencel wrote:
> indeed seems to be related to Wine's directory system, i have two partitions and one of them is set to be D:/, that partition is the one actually causing me problems, if i run an installer inside C:/ runs quite well, but if i do it from D:/ the problem present itself.

Linux does not use drive letters. Windows programs expect drive letters, and Wine translates Linux paths into Windows-style paths for them. The C:\ drive you see in winecfg is actually just a hidden directory in your home directory: $HOME/.wine/drive_c is the default. The Z:\ drive is everything else--the root directory, which will include all mounted volumes, including removable ones. I don't know what partitions your "C" and "D" drives are, but I am pretty sure they don't correspond to the drives mapped in winecfg (though Wine's fake drive_c is probably contained on the volume you think of as your C:/ drive.)