[Wine] Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, Wine 1.5.3, OpenGL issue

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:20:22 CDT 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM, nepenthes <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Yes, I understant there is no workaround and this will need to be bixed on the Ubuntu (or Wine) side.
>
> My answer was in fact motivated by Martin's posts, I don't need a 32 vs 64 bit troll, I usually know what I'm doing on my computer, and I don't
> need someone to tell me which OS architecture I am supposed to run (since I have already gone through the benchmarks, optimization talks,
> compatibility issues solving, and I knew what I was doing when I chose to use a 64 bit OS , and after all this is not even an architecture related
> bug.

One of the things that I have picked up reading all of the messages
here and looking at the Ubuntu bug tracker is that the 64 bit version
of 12.04 has MANY more problems than the 32 bit version.  Many were
exposed by the use of Wine.  Since Wine in either the 32 bit or 64 bit
version does not exhibit them with other Linux distributions and even
MacOSX, this seems to be isolated to something the Ubuntu team did
when developing/building 12.04.  There are two courses of action that
can be taken at this time:
1.  If you desire to run 64 bit, stay with the current 11.10 release
of Unbuntu and file/update bug reports for 12.04.
2.  Switch to 32 bit, for now, if you desire to run 12.04.  There
seems to be fewer issues with this release as related to Wine.

The bottom line:  Wine cannot fix problems introduced by a particular
release of Linux unless the distribution releasers state what changes
they made and how they can be 'corrected' by the Wine developers.

James