[Wine] Re: New User.. Just general advice

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed May 9 06:44:55 CDT 2012

libspero wrote:

> I have tried to install two games since installing wine,  (Wolfenstein and an older game).  Wolfenstein crashed during installation with not much info given.  The older game (RTCW) which comes on two disks started installing ok but then crashed when I inserted the second disk.
>
> So,  I'm kinda giving up a bit.   Is it worth me pushing on,  or as a newbie to this am I going to get bogged down requiring complex tweeks and mods..?

You didn't say what version of Ubuntu you're using, but if it's 64 bit 12.04, that version is severely broken for Wine, and the problems are not things that can be worked around with an easy tweak.

Regarding Wolfenstein, the AppDB has many test reports rating it platinum, which means it should work out of the box. However, I did see at least one test report mentioning that a no-cd crack is needed, which may or may not be legal where you live, but in any case isn't supported here, and if true, the game never should have been rated platinum.  http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10125

If by "RTCW" you mean Return to Castle Wolfenstein (please use full names when posting), a user posted detailed instructions for installing from two cds on Ubuntu. The instructions are pretty old, but may be worth a try.