[Wine] Wine doesn't do X11, does it?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon May 14 14:47:42 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 15:23 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > Let's say I install Wine + TextPad (a Windows text editing app) on
> our Linux box.
> >
> > Can I log into our box remotely, launch TextPad, and have it show on
> my local desktop via X11? (Assuming I'm running an X server on my
> local desktop).
> >

> I understand the question now however I have never ever tried that so
> I am not sure what will happen. Someone else will have to answer
> that..

Yes, if you have ssh/sshd configured to allow X.11 port forwarding from
the host running Wine, then the Windows app's display will appear on
your local machine.

I do that all the time with my RH Fedora boxes. If you can start, say a
web browser or the GIMP on the remote host and control the program from
your display and keyboard, then Windows apps under Wine can do the same.

Martin