[Wine] Help me ( how can i edit the files )

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 13:04:16 CDT 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Fred2 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Three. A more friendly reply (what is lacking in this forum!) would have been :
> Since you are new to Linux, you maybe can't know (and haven't figured out yourself) where Wine stores its files. Your user
> profile /home/kitsos contains configuration files that are hidden. Hidden files on Linux have a dot in front of the name. You
> have to display hidden files first (in Nautilus ctrl+H) and you will find the folder ./wine (so-called Wine prefix). This
> corresponds to a Windows installation how you are used to it and from there on it should be straight forward.
> Inform yourself about everything else on http://wiki.winehq.org and http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

This depends on the system being used as well.  On my Mac, the files
are stored in the user 'space' directory.

However, if you are looking to edit the registry, the regedit program
that is used with Windows also exists for Wine and is used in the same
manner.  It is best NOT to manually edit the .reg files.

Patching and building Wine is described in the FAQ as well as several
Wiki pages.

Lastly, it does help to do a search of the forums before posting.
This subject has been discussed at length.

James