[Wine] Running Alpha 5.2 in Wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Feb 23 14:14:24 CST 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-23 at 11:58 -0800, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> Hello.  Using Wine 1.4.1 on a Bodhi Linux system.
>
> I have an old app -- Alpha 5.2, a very capable database program.  It
> installs just fine under Wine, but when I try to run it, I get an error box
> with no readable text in it, just an exclamation point and a small graphic.
>
> The app is designed to run in Win95.  I've never had the occasion to
> install it in XP or later since all my computers run Linux.  Is there some
> setting in Wine, as there is in XP, to run this app in Win95 emulation
> mode?  Or is there some other fix I can try?

Use winecfg to set the specific user-level .wine installation to Win95
mode.

Running winecfg as your first wine-related action in a user should
create the wine file structure as .wine by default or with whatever name
you set with an exported WINEPREFIX shell variable, e.g.

	export WINEPREFIX=".wine_alpha"

Martin