[Wine] Windows Media Player, help

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sat Jun 29 21:10:50 CDT 2013

Have installed WMP ver. 9 using Winetricks, as your page advised.
However, I cannot go any further. It doesn't run and your instructions
can't be followed.What I get under varying conditions is this:

[doug at linux1 Windows Media]$ ./Windows Media Encoder.desktop
bash: ./Windows: No such file or directory
[doug at linux1 Windows Media]$ wmplayer.exe/Task CDAudio
bash: wmplayer.exe/Task: No such file or directory
[doug at linux1 Windows Media]$ wmplayer.exe /Task CDAudio
bash: wmplayer.exe: command not found
[doug at linux1 Windows Media]$ wine wmplayer.exe/Task CDAudio
wine: cannot find 'wmplayer.exe/Task'
[doug at linux1 Windows Media]$ wine wmplayer.exe
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L"LightScribeService"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW
(0xcafe4242,0x0004,0x0000,0x60020004,(nil),0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),(nil)):
stub
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wmplayer.exe"

Won't run from the PCLOS menu, either. the debug stuff comes out
about 3 pages long.

I'd like to run this since nothing I have reliably will play .mid files.
Running PCLOS kernel 3.4.50-pclos1.pae #1 SMP which is 32 bit, as you
see. I copied WMP 9 from an XP install from 2010 or so, since the MS
website doesn't show older versions (before 11). I copied the whole
directory and copied to my Download directory, from which I used
winetricks to install it--which it says it did, without complaint.

Where do I go from here. please?

Thanx--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers..for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M.Greeley