[Wine] WordPerfect12

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Tue Apr 1 13:10:11 CDT 2014

On 04/01/2014 03:56 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 19:09 -0400, Doug wrote:
>> It looks like I can now save files to the Linux directory also.
>>
> You should use your Linux File Manager to poke around under the hood a
> little to see where the "Windows drives", that Wine makes available to
> the programs you run, are mapped to. In particular, if you're using the
> default wine prefix, WINE_PREFIX=.wine, then C: points to
> the .wine/drive_c directory on your login directory ($HOME) and the Z:
> drive points to '/', the root of the Linux filing system. IOW, if your
> home directory is called 'myhome', then if you save a WP file to
> Z:\home\myhome and then exit from WP, you'll find the file on your login
> directory.
>
> Spending five minutes looking at this sort of stuff is time well spent.
> Its always worth knowing how a program like Wine does things and how
> this affects the Windows apps it runs because what you know about this
> will apply to any other program you run with Wine.

Thanx, Martin. I do plan to do some poking around. One thing
I found is disabling that "enhanced file dialogs" must have also
disabled the hot key, ctrl-w, or else it wasn't implemented in this
version of WP. (ctrl-W should bring up the set of tables of
special characters. It is available from a drop-down menu,
but ctrl-w was handy, and I'm not a person who likes hot-keys.)

--doug