[Wine] uninstalling something that didn't work

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Wed Apr 2 11:16:13 CDT 2014

On 04/02/2014 10:13 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 19:50 -0400, Doug wrote:
>> As a matter of interest, I cannot seem to get into any of the c: or d:
>> (etc.) directories from a  terminal, but I can find them in Konqueror
>> and the unwanted programs in them that I can find I can delete via this GUI.
>>
> I don't use KDE or Konqueror, so won't comment about that.
>
>> Before I clutter up the system with something else that may not work,
>> I'd like to know how to clean out those things that don't!
>>
> Are you using separate Wine prefixes for each program or set of related
> programs? if so, you'll be setting the $WINEPREFIX variable before
> running Wine and you can completely wipe any installed Windows app by
> deleting the directory named by $WINEPREFIX: the command
>
> "rm -rf $WINEPREFIX"
>
> but be aware that if you're just using the default prefix (so all apps
> are installed in the same Wine instance, that command will wipe *all*
> installed apps. The default prefix is called '.wine'
>
> I never use the default prefix. I always create a separate prefix for
> each app or group of related programs and always launch Wine apps with a
> small shell script. In the following example the script, which has four
> lines, is called myapp and runs a Windows app called MyApp, whose
> installer put it in C:\Program Files\MyApp within a wine prefix
> called .wine_myapp:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine_myapp
> cd $WINEPREFIX/Program Files/MyApp
> wine myapp.exe
>
> After you've written the script it should be made executable:
>
> chmod u+x myapp
>
> and then to command "myapp" should run the Windows app. You can run it
> from the command line (useful for debugging) make a KDE launcher to run
> it.
>
> The advantage if this is both that you can easily get rid of an app or
> Windows program you no longer want and that some apps may need DLLs or
> Windows versions that prevent other apps from running if they are all in
> the same prefix. If they are in separate prefixes they can't interfere
> with each other.
>
> HTH
>
> Martin

Martin, that's all very helpful for the future. For now, I didn't know
anything
about wineprefix. Let me see if I understand:
If I were to write a script, as you show, I assume that instead of
"myapp" I
would put the name of the application--like, frinstance, AutoCADLT. I asume
that would create a wineprefix just for this program.

If I were to do that, then how would I install AutoCADLT?
Right now, I just plug in the CD and run "setup" and Wine finds the
files and puts them wherever it thinks they should go. So instead, I do
what?

I guess if I want to do this, I will have to wipe whatever is now in WINE
and start over, which is not really a big deal--I hope! (This is a new setup
for Windows files--I had some on my old XP laptop, which is now
obsolete. By some good fortune the ones I had worked.)

Thanx for your help.

--doug