[Wine] Java on host and wineprefix questions

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Feb 14 20:15:03 CST 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 17:31 -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
> > There's no problem in having several separate directories pointed to by
> > $WINEPREFIX in the same user. I do it all the time. You only need a 3 or
> > 4 line bash script to set $WINEPREFIX to point to the setup you want to
> > run and then run wine. I have the impression that the more recent WINE
> > releases are expecting a Linux box to have multiple WINE apps installed
> > in separate prefixes because they seem to share more WINE code between
> > prefixes.
> >

> A lot of tools (eg winetricks and playonlinux) work by creating
> separate wine prefixes for indivdual apps.  It is indeed a common use
> case, though I haven't throughly tested what happens when you run them
> concurrently and spawn multiple wineservers.

I've just tried it, running two different programs, LK8000 and XCSoar,
which are both installed in their own prefix and both are graphical
navigation programs. Both are written to run on WinCE 5 PNAs but these
executables are versions that were compiled to run on a Win XP box so
their user can learn to use them at home.

Both programs ran simultaneously, which is what I expected.

Each program is launched from a bash script which sets the required
prefix and then starts Wine in it, so the dual run test was started with
the command:

  lk8000& xcsoar

which starts lk8000 and detaches it from the main shell and then runs
xcsoar from the main shell. Each program uses a single window. As an
added twist, I ran this test from a Lenovo laptop running Fedora 20. It
was logged in to my house server, a dual core Athlon box running Fedora
18 and ran the programs on the server. The login was via an ssh session
with X11 forwarding enabled, so both programs opened their window on the
Lenovo and accepted mouse input from it.

FWIW both programs normally take all user input via the PNA's touch
sensitive screen. The PC versions accept mouse input instead.

Martin