[Wine] Not able to run app using Wine

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 06:33:57 CST 2014

I'm using Wine 1.6.1 installed using the Ubuntu Wine Team's ppa under
Ubuntu Precise. I have a Desktop Configuration File (named
Basic4android.desktop) created by Wine when I installed the
Basic4android windows app.

The file is in directory
/home/john/.local/share/applications/wine/Programs/Basic4android/.

Contents of the file are:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Basic4android
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/john/.wine" wine
C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix
/home/john/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\\
Menu/Programs/Basic4android/Basic4android.lnk
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Path=/home/john/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Basic4android
Icon=05D9_Basic4android.0

/home/john/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start
Menu/Programs/Basic4android/Basic4android.lnk (written using standard
Unix notation) exists. I don't know how to determine where it points to.
However, the file (basic4android.exe) that it should point to is in
directory /home/john/.wine/c:/dosdevices/c:/Basic4android/ and I can run
it successfully by double clicking it in the Nautilus File Manager.

When I try to run the app (by using the launcher in Unity (corresponding
to the Desktop Configuration File detailed above), I get a small window
showing 'File Missing' with no useful options, but it doesn't detail
which file that is missing. Help please!

PS I get the same problem with other windows apps (e.g. Windows version
of Android SDK).

--
Regards, John