Audio streaming

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 12:05:27 CDT 2005

Hey,

I assumed there was an audio shoutcast for wineconf this year until I
noticed this morning I had been reading the archives of 2004. I know,
now this might be a bit too late to arrange. But let's try.

I have the experience in setting up an audio stream and the general
knowledge about audio. But I do not have much portable equipment I can
take with me at wineconf.
I would mainly be needing a laptop with a _proper_ soundcard and a
server doing the actual streaming.

What kind of sound system does the conference room have? Do we know
specifics? If there is nothing available I can arrange some equipment.
If there is equipment available our biggest problem will be getting
the signal at the poor 3,5mm jack line-in connections of the laptop.

The laptop would need a distro (duh) with basically just ALSA. And a
soundcard that can do hardware mixing (multiple local playback streams
at once).

You can have nice sound at 56kbit/s mp3. So somewhere around a 5mbit
connection should be enough for 100 listeners at the stream server
(you don't want to do that on the laptop, connections eat memory).

What do you all think?
Paul