Local organisation

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 05:57:00 CST 2005

Hello,

Ulrich Gemkow wrote:
> Michael has already described the most important aspects of the local
> organisation, please let me add some remarks and also answers to questions
> asked before. Sorry for the delay - it was a rather busy week...
>
> 1. Local organisation
> ---------------------
>
> I propose to form a local organisation group (LOG). It would be helpful if some
> people living in the region with a feeling for the needs of our guests would
> join this LOG. This LOG (or a part of it) should meet in the next few weeks
> here at the university to check the location and collect ideas how to organize
> wineconf. Hopefully WRS will join this LOG too.
Count me in in the LOG, the only problem is that i don't know when and
if i will be in Stuttgart the next couple of weeks. On sunday i'm flying
to US for 2 weeks after that i have 2 offices to move/expand until end
of february and i don't know yet where i will be.

> We should get a feeling for the "financial" aspects (who pays what and what are
> the limits). It is no problem to find a catering service (we have one about
> 200m near the building) for coffee and breakfast/lunch or a good pizza service,
> but somebody has to decide how much this may cost and provide some kind of
> deficit guarantee.
Didn't Jeremy offered to do that? ;)

> I will try to hire students from our students organisation, so that there will
> be (including me) good support from people who know the location and the
> building.
>
> If a list of the people expected to come will be available, we can prepare name
> plates.
>
> We will some help for cleaning after the conference - the universities cleaning
> staff will not be available at sunday and the rooms must be in "perfect"
> condition on monday morning at 8am (because then the lectures start).
>
> 2. Location/Traveling
> ---------------------
>
> The exact location will be
>
>   University of Stuttgart
>   Campus Stuttgart-Vaihingen
>   Pfaffenwaldring 47
>
>   D 70569 Stuttgart
>
>   Lecture halls V47.04, V47.05 and V47.03
>
> The hosting organisation is
>
>   University of Stuttgart
>   Institute of Communication Networks and Computer Engineering
>   Pfaffenwaldring 47
>
>   D 70569 Stuttgart
>
> The small room has about 80 seats, the two bigger ones 150 and 300 seats. If
> more or bigger rooms are needed, this should be no problem, the biggest one in
> the building (which is not available on Saturdays morning) has 850 seats :-)
>
> Michael already described perfectly how to reach Stuttgart and the University
> campus in Vaihingen. We have a web page which also contains travel information
> (http://www.ikr.uni-stuttgart.de/en/Content/TravelInfo). I can easily generate
> a "wineconf-customized" release of this webpage (which will point to the halls,
> not to the institute) if this is helpful.
>
> We can provide markers which guide the guests from the railway station and the
> parking site to the entry of the building.
After the official announcement of the Wine conference i'll book 2 days
of vacation before the conference takes place so i can help with that.

> 3. Equipment
> ------------
>
> LC-Projectors should be no problem - each of the halls has a projector
> installed. Overhead-projectors and blackboards are available too. The bigger
> halls have microphone, the small room does not need one in our experience.
>
> Internet access is a little bit more difficult - not from a technical point of
> view but because of security concerns in our central computing center which is
> responsible for the campus network. You should give me a feeling what services
> are needed, i.e.
>
> - is WWW-access through a proxy enough (probably not)
definitely not.

> - do you need direct outgoing connections (ssh, ...)
Afaik outgoing http, https, ssh and irc should be enough. Well, DNS
should work too. Maybe some people would want imaps/pops but i don't
know that. Some will want outgoing SMTP but if the University is too
afraid of spam/viruses being send from its networks i can understand if
they don't want to allow this.

> - do you think that incoming connections to (Mail, ...) are required (which
>   would be rather difficult)
Incomming connections shouldn't be needed at all unless we want to
stream the Wine conference. Definitely we do not need incomming smtp
access. At the last conference we were all behind a NAT'ing router.

> As soon as I have some feeling I will negotiate the connectivity with our
> computing center (which should be no problem).
>
> Our institute can provide WLAN-APs and switches for interconnection of
> notebooks.
>
> I can provide some equipment for audio/video archiving of the conference but
> have no own experience in doing so.
>

> Please feel free to add questions/comments/corrections or better ideas

bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart