Next steps for Wineconf 2007

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Wed Feb 21 08:03:42 CST 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 23:18:14 Jeremy White wrote:

> With Amsterdam, we may yet need to either shift off a weekend,
> or find a conference location.  (That shouldn't be hard;
> pretty much any hotel is happy to host a conference like this).

Yes, though a hotel with conference facilities would be more expensive.
I'm exploring Utrecht a bit more now, they tell me weekends are possible
but 50 people is not enough to keep security around fulltime. A way around
that would be to piggyback on a bigger conference, of which there are plenty
around that time I am told.

The ISP for higher education in the Netherlands has a streaming MPEG
video encoder on loan at shipping costs and offers free capacity on their
streaming servers as well. This offer can be used from either Amsterdam
or Utrecht.

Another thing we may still want to consider is that Utrecht offers cheap
but modern student dorms, although their availability is limited to the
mid July - mid August interval (which makes travelling more expensive):

  http://www.ucu.uu.nl/Oncampus.phtml

 -Hans