Late leaver?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Sep 27 08:06:20 CDT 2011

On 09/27/2011 01:46 AM, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> Hey Scott,
>
> On 09/27/2011 08:41 AM, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>> Against my better judgement I thought it would be neat to give myself an
>> extra day to tour Minnesota.  Anyone else not leaving until late Monday?
>>  What do I do?
>>
> Ask jwhite about the secret boat codeweavers boat trip. ;)
>
> It's a secret!!

No boat ride this year, I'm afraid - we're pinching pennies atm :-(.

But we were thinking of doing something informal Sunday night at
our office for anyone still in town.

In no particular order, here's a list of fun stuff that would be
easy and relatively easy to get to:

  Museums:  Walker Art Center / Sculpture garden - 15 minute
              walk to see the iconic spoon bridge + cherry
              sculpture garden.  The Walker is also a good
              museum of modern art.
            Mill City Museum.  Learn about the explosive power of flour.
              (This is not the greatest museum in the world, but
              is kind of a fun one, with real local color and history).
            Minneapolis Institute of Arts - traditional art museum
               (this one is a bit further afield)

  Theater: We have a zillion good theaters in town (we are #2 per capita
           behind New York, and the #3 overall theater town in the US).
           The Guthrie is beautiful and worth a trip; there are a number
           of other theaters close to the hotel.

  Music:   We've got a lot of great live music, although not sure
           there will be much on a Monday.

  Outdoors:  The JJ Hill bridge and upper lock & damn down by the river
             would make a nice visit, as would the sculpture garden.
             But a great outdoor jaunt would be to snag one of the
             'nice ride' bikes (they're everywhere; easy to rent)
             and go for a ride.  Ride along the river to Minnehaha falls,
             or maybe down to Lake Calhoun; you can probably even go by Uptown
             for a change of pace.

             We apparently just slipped in our ranking; we're now the
             #4 bike commuting city in the US :-(.  But we've still
             got good trails, and the leaves are going to be perfect
             this weekend.

  Sports:  Our big name teams are all not playing, so I don't think
           we've got anything there.  Sorry.

  Shopping:  There's the mall, of course.  But you've done that.
             Downtown has Macy's, the galleria; loads of shopping,
             actually.

  Local thang:  The skyway system.  One thing that might be worth
                a little bit of your time is to wander the skyway
                system - the largest private skyway in the world.
                You can traverse much of downtown without going outside
                (something you'd value more in January).

                That would likely be fun to wander for a bit on a Monday.

Cheers,

Jeremy