Wine Weekly News #86 (2001 Week 11)

Eric Pouech Eric.Pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 14 13:15:19 CST 2001

enjoy this week edition.
A+
--
---------------
Eric Pouech (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/eric.pouech/)
"The future will be better tomorrow", Vice President Dan Quayle
-------------- next part --------------

                              Wine Weekly News

   All the News that Fits, we print.

   Events, progress, and happenings in the Wine community for March 12,
   2001 .

Headlines

   Daniel Schwarz' web site ([1] http://www.winecentric.com/) has been
   completely revamped and now has expanded coverage: in addition to the
   existing coverage of Lotus Notes, info for Microsoft Excel '97 have
   been added (How to install, how to use, tips and tricks, etc).

Keeping track of Wine

     * Andreas Mohr contributed a winecheck script that lets users check
       that Wine is configured somewhat correctly.
     * Alexandre Julliard made the wineserver protocol reentrant.
     * Ian Pilcher moved the PostScript AFM loader's previously hardcoded
       font paths into .wine/config instead.
     * Other Workers/Bugfixers: Marcus Meissner (KDE2 support), Gerard
       Patel (misc dialogs and menus), Mike McCormack (overlapped I/O),
       Rein Klazes (message conversion), James Juran (win98/2000 stubs),
       Nerijus Baliunas (Latvian), Hann-huei Chiou (Chinese)
          + CodeWeavers: Fran?ois Gouget (winemaker), Dmitry Timoshkov
            (edit/combobox control), Huw D M Davies

Discussions on wine-devel

   This week, 30 posts consumed 128 K. There were 16 different
       contributors, 4 (25%) posted more than once, and 6 (37%) posted
       last week too.
       The top posters of the week were:

     * 9 posts in 31 K by "Alexandre Julliard" <julliard at winehq.com>
     * 5 posts in 28 K by David Howells <dhowells at cambridge.redhat.com>
     * 2 posts in 7 K by Gavriel State <gav at transgaming.com>
     * 2 posts in 24 K by Michael McCormack
       <mccormac at aals27.alcatel.com.au>

   Enhanced asynchronous I/O Evolution

   Michael McCormack provided a first version of a patch to enhance the
   I/O operations in Wine:
   This patch moves responsibility for asynchronous I/O to the client
       process.
       I think this implementation is more efficient, as it makes fewer
       server calls and duplicates fewer file descriptors, while
       maintaining correctness.

   However, Mike requested some feedback on his patch.

   Alexandre Julliard objected several points:
     * first of all, the patch conflicted with underway work from
       Alexandre: "your approach is not going to work with the latest
       changes I made to the server. The good news is that the changes
       I'm making are in part to allow making server calls in signal
       handlers, so when this works you should be able to use SIGIO to do
       async IO."
     * secondly, Alexandre really doubted the patch improved the
       performance.

   Mike tried to defend a bit his changes (especially, in the area of
   performance, where Mike thought he drastically reduced the number of
   context switches and the number of server calls), but Alexandre
   remained dubious: "Reducing the number of server calls but making them
   more expensive is not necessarily a gain. Show me the numbers..."

   Later on, Mike provided a second patch (a derivation of the first one,
   making use of Alexandre's latest improvements on the server
   communication protocol). Here are the final results of a simple test