Traces: fs -> tid

Francois Gouget fgouget at
Tue Apr 10 11:42:04 CDT 2001

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

> "Francois Gouget" <fgouget at> wrote:
> >    So this patch adds a debug channel called 'tid' which activates
> > printing the tid as the first field of all traces. Actually, it might
> > make sense to merge 'tid' with the 'thread' debug channel.
> The point was to be able to easy track down problems in multiprocess/multithreaded
> environment with just +relay trace. You never know, what surprise you will see
> analysing the traces from the news group.

   Yes, I agree with the switch to the tid instead of %fs. I can
understand too that it can be nice to have all the information we can
get from traces submitted on the newsgroup.

> Besides that, at least I always start
> searching for the problem with +relay trace: it would be too late to add +tid
> (or whatever) to notice, that the actual problem is related to process/thread
> interaction.

   But maybe we could ask for traces generated with +relay,+tid instead
of just +relay.
   Also when you're working on a specific application for which you have
determined that threads don't play a role, then you would have the
option of omitting the +tid to get simpler traces.

> Regarding too long lines: it is not the actual problem (doesn't it?). I would
> complain about too large files with the trace logs :-)

   Yes, large lines are annoying: they cause more wraps in emacs which
makes things less readable. Plus, I find it easier to scan for useful
information when there's not too much stuff at the end of the line.
   Plus when things seem thread related I find that it's nice to have
the thread id on each trace line. But I would not want it to be the
   It's not a big deal anyway and I can quite easily patch things to be
better suited to any particular situation I'm working on.

Francois Gouget         fgouget at
In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're different.