IStorage file format.

Caolan McNamara caolan at csn.ul.ie
Tue Apr 17 04:11:39 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:43:01PM -0400, lawson_whitney at juno.com wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Psyon wrote:
>
> > I am interested in making an HTMLHelp (.CHM) viewer for Linux.  I am
> > told the files are actually IStorage files.  I have been scouring the
> > internet looking for information about this format with no avail.  I
> > have also been looking over the WINE implementation, to see if that
> > would shed some light on the format, but the code dives into a bunch of
> > cryptic functions that I cant seem to follow.  Is there any documents
> > describing the format of these files?   even just a brief description
> > would be nice at this moment.
> >
> > If you have any information please replay directly to me at
> > x-odus at iname.com
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > --Don Becker
>
> There is some nice doco in this package:
>
> http://www.cs.tu-berlin.de/~schwartz/pmh/laola.html
>
> This package has a little winelib program that manipulates one kind of
> storage object, (a juno version 2 mail folder).  It is just sort of
> cobbled together from a +storage trace of the app, but maybe it could
> show a little how the functions can fit together if you are desperate.
>
> http://www.loplof.de/junowine/junopine-2.0.2.tar.gz
>
> Lawson
>
> This message is brought to you by Wine-20010326, junopine-2.0.2,
> Juno 2.0.11, and pine-4.10

Hang on, this sounds like the ole2 structured storage stuff. You
can use libole2, which is a seperate ole2 reader that wvware and
gnumeric use to open and handle msoffice ole2 files.

Reference manual last seen at http://www.wvware.com/libole2/html/
code at ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/unstable/sources/libole2/

You will still have the issue of the file format of the actual
streams themselves as ole2 storage is just a "filesystem in a file"
concept. The "files" themselves are free format things.

C.
--
Real Life: Caolan McNamara         *  Mobile: +49 177 2938135
Play: caolan at skynet.ie             *  Work Ph.: +353 1 8199033