InstallShield and ole question...

Mike Bond mbond at cox.rr.com
Wed Apr 18 09:42:24 CDT 2001

Quick brief, I've been lurking for quite some time around WineHQ and the
wine project, but don't really have time for putting a lot of devel into
it. It seems wine is finally getting close enough to working for most
things that I can put some time into tracking problems without gobbling
up many hours.

All that said, I've been trying to get some InstallShield v6 based installers
to work with wine without much success. I've tried various combinations
of builtin and native versions of the ole related dlls, each configuration
with it's own hitches.

With a mostly 'native' configuration, I get the 0x80070008
(ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY) error when trying to load IKernel.exe. I did not
spend a lot of time with this as 'builtin' really is the prefered method
anyway.

With a completely 'builtin' configuration for the various ole dlls, I get the
dreaded 0x80070005 (ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED) when trying to load IKernel.exe that
others have reported on the list in the past. After persuing this a bit, I
found that the problems seems to lie in the fact that CoGetClassObject
in compobj.c does not have CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER implemented, which InstallShield
is trying to use when starting up the "InstallShield setup kernel" via
CoCreateInstance.

My question, is anyone currently working on implementing CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER
in compobj.c:CoGetClassObject, or have plans to work on this in the near
future? If not, I may go back to trying to figure out what is happening
with the 'native' configuration.

--
TTFN
MikeB