GDB remote debugging for wine

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Fri Apr 20 14:13:21 CDT 2001

As we all know, gdb isn't very compatible with wine, since gdb makes so
many assumptions about the operating environment that isn't true in wine.
But lately it occurred to me that perhaps it's possible to use gdb's
remote debugging features to solve these issues. So recently, I've been
secretly experimenting with writing gdb-server code in the wineserver.
It goes something like this...

./configure --enable-remote-gdb
[...blah...]

$ wine stuff
gdb socket ready at: target remote localhost:1234

$ gdb wine
(gdb) target remote localhost:1234

and you're currently able to look at registers, backtrace, list all the
threads, change thread, and read process memory... neato. But its
usefulness might be quite limited since gdb doesn't know about the
dynamically-loaded dlls so it doesn't automatically load their symbols...
does anyone have ideas on how to solve that? It doesn't appear that the
standard remote protocol have a command to tell gdb, and I don't know how
gdb ordinarily does it.

I've pondered making wine generate a file full of "add-symbol-file"
commands or something that could be executed by gdb, but I don't know how
to do that cleanly... preferably hacks for loading symbols should be
transparent to the developer, and new symbols loaded automatically after
new dlls are loaded. Hmm...