InstallShield and ole question...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Apr 26 18:47:01 CDT 2001

Jeremy White wrote:
> > This getes me back to the other part of the question, is anyone currently
> > working on this? I know people at CodeWeavers supposedly were working on
> > getting the various mutations of InstallShield working, this error seems
> > to be pretty common across all InstallSheild v6 based installers I've seen.
> > I had also heard there was progress getting Alice install working at
> > TransGaming, is that InstallSheild v6 based?
>
> AFAIK, no one is actively doing this.  We're working hard on the
> installers, including everything up to the point of actually
> diving of the COM/DCOM cliff.

http://freedce.sourceforge.net/ is an open source project to implement COM.
It's been around quite some time, and started off from the same
DCE sources that Microsoft based its stuff on.
(See also http://linas.org/linux/corba.html )
It was dormant for a while, but I think it's being worked on again.

I wonder if that might not be useful here?
- Dan