InstallShield and ole question...

Mike Bond mbond at cox.rr.com
Fri Apr 27 06:16:33 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:47:01PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> http://freedce.sourceforge.net/ is an open source project to implement COM.
> It's been around quite some time, and started off from the same
> DCE sources that Microsoft based its stuff on.
> (See also http://linas.org/linux/corba.html )
> It was dormant for a while, but I think it's being worked on again.
>
> I wonder if that might not be useful here?

That sounds interesting. I could start looking into it, but I'm really not
sure I am the best person to depend on for moving this effort forward. As I
said, I have little time to myself, with two elementary school age kids. I
may have a bit more time once the latest crunch at work ends, but not sure
I will have enough to put the amount of time it will take to accomplish
this.

There is also the matter that I don't really have a lot of experience
specifically with ole/com, most of my exerience lies both proprietary
and CORBA protocols, almost exclusively on *nix platforms.

On the other hand, I personally see this as a major stumbling block for
the widespread use of Wine, beyond the stability of completeness of the
basic system. So, until someone else steps forward, I will see what I
can do to persue this a bit farther.

--
TTFN
MikeB