Getting Started

Oliver Sampson olsam at quickaudio.com
Sun Dec 9 16:15:46 CST 2001

So, it's solved.  How did I solve it?  Uh, I read the directions.

Rather than do a ./configure....make install as I listed below, I did
a ./tools/wineinstall.

Worked fine.  WTF?

I guess I'll have a bit of a closer look at the wineinstall script,
and see what the difference was.

Anyhow, I'm up and running with a reasonably fresh copy of wine.

So, what's the normal update process?

cvs update; make depend; make; make install?

or

wineinstall?

<ot>
Why is the default behavior for the list to have replies go only to
the sender and not to the list?
</ot>

Thanks,
Oliver

On Sat, 08 Dec 2001 16:59:19 +0100, Rein Klazes <rklazes at xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>> >Hmm, and you did run ldconfig ?
>>
>> Umm. no.  Not explicitly, but I noticed that it's the last thing
>> called during the 'make install'.  When I run it (as root, of course)
>> it returns no errors, leading me to believe all is okay.
>>
>> However, I'm still getting the libntdll error.
>>
>> Let's assume that I know nothing and I've read the wine web page
>> enough to download a cvs image.
>>
>> After I update my directory, it's a matter of
>> autoconf
>> ./configure
>> make depend
>> make
>> make install.
>>
>> Is there anything missing in that sequence of steps?  Afterwards, I
>> should be able to type 'wine ...' and be on my way, right?
>
>You are doing a standard wine install. This installs the wine
>executables in /usr/local/bin and the libs in /usr/local/lib
>(do a ./configure --help to see how those can be changed).
>
>That means that you must have:
>
>- either /usr/local/lib configured in /etc/ld.so.conf or it is
>specified in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>- /usr/local/bin must be part of the PATH.
>- wine executables in /usr/bin and /usr/lib are part of another wine
>install, probably the one from the rpm. It is best to remove them.
>

>> Also interesting, but every so slightly possibly could be related is
>> that even though I'm using the Dec 3 cvs update, (for the rpm that I
>> can get to run) when I type wine --version, it gives me 200011108,
>> which was the original wine package I had installed.  Even though I
>> removed it (rpm -e) something from it appears to be remaining.
>
>That is normal. --version is not updated between the offcial
>snapshots.
>
>Rein.

Oliver Sampson
olsam at quickaudio.com