problems with counter-strike under wine

Matthew Winner mwinner at altavista.com
Tue Dec 11 14:24:25 CST 2001

info: newest versions of counter-strike and half-life for windows.
wine version 200111008
GLX and NVdriver installed and working for nvidia card
running hl.exe from .../half-life on c:\ of windows partition with wine --winver win98 hl.exe -- hl.exe --console

using c:\\windows, c:\\windows\\system, c:\\windows\\temp, etc in .wine/config file

halflife loads and runs flawlessly, but these errors occur when I try and start a game of counterstrike:

fixme:winsock:_get_sock_fd handle 0 is not a socket (GLE 6)
Warning: /halflife.wad not accessible from a configured DOS drive

I also get one that looks like this:
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoA Unimplemented action: 3 (SPI_GETMOUSE)

It will terminate on all three of these, apparently at random, but the most common is the one about halflife.wad. here's my config entry on the DOS drive in question:

[Drive C]
"Path" = "/mnt/win"
"Type" = "hd"
"Label" = "MS-DOS"
"Filesystem" = "win95"
"Device" = "/dev/hda1"

It's a fat32 partition running windows 98 se and windows 2000. windows 98 is emulated in the conifg file.

The last line "Device" I added, hoping this would help somehow. The mount point and /dev/hda1 are correct. I've tried running with --winver win98, this doesn't seem to help.

any ideas? I noticed a few others on this post have had similar problems. It's pretty clear that Counter-Strike can and does work under WINE. Is this an ldconfig matter? what should I do?

matt  -- mwinner at altavista.com

http://www.shopping.altavista.com