psdrv: map Courier New to Courier

Huw D M Davies h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 4 13:13:34 CST 2001

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:18:45PM +0600, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> I just spent some time poking around in the Registry of my Windows 2000
> system.  Neither "TTFontSubTable" or "FontSubTable" appears anywhere.
> (I have printers installed that use both the Adobe and Microsoft Post-
> Script drivers.)

Try changing an entry in the font sub table.  The driver doesn't write
anything until you move anyway from the default.

> Another point of interest -- none of the printer properties dialogs seem
> to allow me to configure the font substitution, even though I have
> "TrueType Font: Substitute with Device Font" set in the Advanced Options
> of the Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS driver.

My LaserJet 4/4M driver allows you to edit the table in the Device
Settings tab of the Property dailog got by going to Control Panel ->
Printers, selecting the printer and then doing Printer->Properties.

We don't need to worry about compatibility with the native drivers to
this extent (this data is private to the driver), I was just using
this as an example to how a native driver does save its data.

> So is "FontSubTable" what we want to use?  It should be easy enough for
> me to have the driver use GetPrinterData and set up a simple array when
> it is initialized.  (Although it does seem a little weird to have the
> driver calling OpenPrinter; is this OK?)

It doesn't matter: TTFontSubTable is what the native M$ driver uses,
but we can use anything you like.  Calling OpenPrinter is fine within
the driver - it only really retrieves a printer handle.

> > Not really convinced about this. I'd like to move all of the psdrv
> > stuff out of the config file (which afterall is just a bit of the
> > registry) into its correct place under
> > HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Printers\Print
> > The configuration should all be done via a GUI control.
>
> Two points:
>
> 1)  How can a user get this information into the Registry until the GUI
>     control is written?  (I hope you weren't thinking that this is some-
>     think I'm capable of doing.  Me stupid procedural guy; OO GUI stuff
>     make head feel oogey!)
>
> 2)  Just because people use Wine to run Windows applications, doesn't
>     mean that they've bought into the "everything should be GUI"
>     philosophy; some of us actually *like* ASCII configuration files.

The Wine registry files are ascii, and adding stuff to the registry
can be done via the regapi program anyway.

> I actually see a manual font configuration as a *very* small step in
> this direction.  At least it will let Wine control it's view of what
> fonts are available, rather than trying to make intelligent guesses
> based on the X font list and the PostScript driver.
>
> It does assume a certain intelligence on the user's part; mapping the
> core Windows fonts to X fonts that aren't installed on the system would
> be "bad", but it shouldn't be too hard to supply a reasonable default
> configuration.

I anticipate that most people will just be happy using TT/Type1/.fon
fonts all served by FreeType and will not bother using XLFD fonts at
all.  This makes font configuration quite easy, we just tell the
FreeType font driver which font files we want it to serve and that's
it.  The psdrv may still want to substitute builtin type1 fonts, but
that seems to me to be psdrv's role and thus its configuration is
unique to that; this becomes more obvious when you think that the user
may install 2 instances of psdrv that print to different printers
which may have different fontsets installed, therefore font
substitution would be on a printer by printer basis.

Huw.
--
   Dr. Huw D M Davies              | Clarendon Laboratory
   h.davies1 at physics.ox.ac.uk      | Parks Road