Reverse engineering court decision

David Elliott dfe at infinite-internet.net
Tue Feb 6 02:11:30 CST 2001

Patrik Stridvall wrote:
[BIG BIG SNIP]

> Personally I don't worry that much. First of all I live in Europe
> secondly any kind of regulation of these kind of issues will
> IMHO be either logically inconsistant or completely arbitrary.
>
> Neither of the cases are likely to survive in the long run
> for several reason among them.
> 1. Constitional/"Human rights" reasons
> 2. Legal enforcement is close to impossible
> 3. It is unlikely to serve the public good

Patrik,

You are most likely correct.  Eventually the court system will get their
head out of their ass and figure this out.  At the moment it seems to me
like its way up in there and they are going "Damn, it's dark in here".

Personally I am glad there are people that are very passionate about these
issues because someone has to bitch about it and start getting normal people
thinking about it.  Even my dad could easily see the argument that
restricting someone from writing a program is really really braindead
(although he has done coding way back in the day).  His response was that
eventually the court system will figure it out and it'll be over and done
with.  Seems to be much the same as your response.

-Dave