Reverse engineering court decision

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 06:52:51 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, David Elliott wrote:

(snip)
> > > If they go after
> > > you then you know for sure that they have the poorest of intentions.
> >
> > Well, we already know that their only intention is more profit,
> > so this will not really help us derive anything new.
>
> Patrik, that was probably one of the most well-written arguments I have
> heard against the DMCA.  Too bad probably only Wine developers will see it.

Yes... AFAICS, the DMCA is full of holes and shipping water. Just as well
they didn't spot that iceberg in time!

I suspect it will just break up into ever smaller pieces, each less
effective than the last, until it is finally either forgotten or revoked -
a bit like the law in London requiring taxis to carry a bale of hay to
feed the horse. *Technically* still valid (think it may have finally been
repealed now though!), but nobody actually enforces it because it doesn't
work!

> Ever thought of becoming a lawyer? ;-)

Dave, that's a HORRIBLE thing to say! :-)

James.