No implementation for shlwapi.dll.0(StrRetToBufA)

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Feb 11 06:45:57 CST 2001

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, David Elliott wrote:

> Ove Kaaven wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Francois Gouget wrote:
> >
> > >    Well, I cannot tell you that you should switch to another ISP, it
> > > would be too easy for me and hypocritical as I'm not sure I would do it
> > > if I were in your situation. I'll see if I can send them a complaint
> > > email (without it getting bounced).
> >
> > Maybe *you* should switch to another ISP, one that is able to educate
> > their users properly.
>
> That's kind of harsh, but yeah, you should definitely be going through your
> ISPs mail server if you have a dialup.  Personally I run my own, but I have a
> cable modem and @Home uses bad mailservers which crash all the time.  If
> I had a dial-up I would most definitely go through my ISPs mail-server.

Yep. Here, I don't have any option: my SMTP packets go to the university
mail server, or they get eaten by the border routers. Seems fair enough,
really: allowing privately run MTAs directly is just asking for someone to
set up an open relay and get your whole site blacklisted!

(Our routers implement the RBL, blocking ALL net traffic from blacklisted
subnets. Harsh, but it tends to get the message across about not allowing
spam...)

One UK ISP just diverts all SMTP traffic into their mailservers anyway, as
well as using a transparent WWW proxy. Not one I use these days, although
it worked perfectly well - and no problems with MAPS DUL either!

James.