Should Wine use alloca or not?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Feb 12 12:22:40 CST 2001

Patrik Stridvall <ps at> writes:

> Sure, but the "char buffer[10*PAGE_SIZE]" have the same problem haven't it?
> We are not talking about allocation large amounts of space anyway,
> but being able to allocate a buffer for ANSI <=> UNICODE translation
> on the stack would be useful and most strings are not that large.

If you know that the allocation will be small you don't need alloca(),
you can use a constant-size buffer. And if you don't know the
allocation maximum size you cannot use alloca() either because it may
crash. So it doesn't buy anything and introduces potential portability

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at