TCP/IP networking and registry keys

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 16:57:05 CST 2001

I spent most of the weekend trying to get Grand Prix Legends GPL to
work.  I achieved my first goal of getting it to run in server mode.

One of the things I needed to get the game to do, was to recognise
that there where some interfaces it could talk TCP/IP out of.  It took
me some time to realise that under windows it was doing this by
looking for the key

[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Class\\NetTrans]

and was then enumerating the keys under it to establish an IP address
ie the following

[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Class\\NetTrans\\0000]
"IPAddress"="10.0.10.100"

The thought occurred to me that maybe the tool the builds the registry
during wine install could actually create these keys - since it is
essentially a key part of the system (and other similar keys are also
built in the same way).

I don't think I have the skills to do it myself yet.

Alan

alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
http://www.chandler.u-net.com