TCP/IP networking and registry keys

Alan Chandler alan at
Mon Feb 19 16:57:05 CST 2001

I spent most of the weekend trying to get Grand Prix Legends GPL to
work.  I achieved my first goal of getting it to run in server mode.

One of the things I needed to get the game to do, was to recognise
that there where some interfaces it could talk TCP/IP out of.  It took
me some time to realise that under windows it was doing this by
looking for the key

and was then enumerating the keys under it to establish an IP address
ie the following

The thought occurred to me that maybe the tool the builds the registry
during wine install could actually create these keys - since it is
essentially a key part of the system (and other similar keys are also
built in the same way).

I don't think I have the skills to do it myself yet.

alan at