Perl/Wine extension for perusal

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Feb 20 10:46:43 CST 2001

I believe that the mailer ate my homework...er...email, so
please forgive me if this is a duplicate message:

> I also started to think (and write the very first pieces) of a test
> harness. If you like to, I'm fully open to discuss all that with you.

   I think it would be great if we could start to define
(and build) a test harness.  I think that there are a lot of people
who would help write test scripts, who might otherwise be unable
to help with Wine development.  The more the merrier, I always say...

    What did you have in mind?  Our thinking, beyond building the
Perl based winetest, hasn't gone very far.  I think we've imagined
the following:

    make test         Performs an automated, non interactive regression
                      test and returns true or false.
    make interactive-test       Runs through interactive tests that
require
                                user interaction with the system; user
                                confirms or denies their results.

Both of these test runs could also be done on a Windows box, so that
an exact 1:1 comparison could be made.

Of course, the hard part is figuring out how to do the interactive-test.
We've thought about trying to automate it (screen shots, simulating
mouse movements, all that good stuff), but I don't think we have an
obvious or brilliant idea.  We looked into tools for that, but found
no good free ones; there is also a suspicion that an X based
test tool won't be enough for Wine.

Thoughts?

Jer