Perl/Wine extension for perusal

Eric Pouech Eric.Pouech at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 23 12:18:47 CST 2001

> > So, this imposes to have the test programs also (compile) and run under
> > windows... This could even allow (from source code for example) to have
> > 3 test caes :
> > 1/ compiled and running under windows
> > 2/ compiled under windows, but run with wine
> > 3/ compiled as a winelib app
>
> The idea of using an interpreter like Perl is precisely that you don't
> need to compile anything to run tests. I think this is important
> because not everybody has a Windows compiler.
Do you really feel like a C compiler is less common than a perl binary
under Windows ? I seriously doubt it...

> It also allows using the
> exact same test script under Windows and Wine, so that you don't have
> to worry whether your Windows binary exactly matches your Winelib
> binary.
well, the stubs between perl and windows will not be exactly the same
anyway, so you'll anyway introduce code differences between the two
(not to speak about the perl interpreters which might have small differences
too). but let's try to open up this a bit. I don't think that perl only
testing is sufficient (it can a very good test bed for some cases, but
I won't cover any aspects). In some other cases, it may also be interesting
to simply run existing programs (if they exist). This shouldn't part
of the whole test system, but if program exists then use it (of course
command based programs are much easier than UI ones...)

where I want to end up to is that we'd need several tests environments
(perl to be one, pure C could be another one... - it's anyway needed to
test the Winelib part, and the associated tools..., command line programs
from shell scripts could be a third).
the driving idea would be that all of those test tools spit the same
type of outputs (they all belong to the first pass), so we can share
the analysis tools

> > in order to help the pass 2 (and even produce all possible reports), I
> > had in mind (but didn't give a good look at it) to let the test scripts
> > produce an XML output. This would allow the test harness to spit out any
> > information (like used DLLs native/builtin, version of those, version of
> > windows (emulated by wine or native...), plus the output by itself
> > analysis and report should be (partially) driven by some XSL/XSLT tools
>
> I don't think we need anything fancy like that. The output should be
> simple ASCII that can be automatically compared with diff, and the
> test is considered a failure if diff finds any difference against the
> reference output. Everything should be automated as much as possible.
there's just one point that worries me. Let me explain how I ended up with
XML. one thing I don't like is to have a "reference" file, but I don't
know what it refers to. I think the test process should output both the result
of the test (pure ASCII is fine) but also the environment of the test
(Windows - if so version, even DLLs used... -, vs wine - which version, which
DLLs are used, native vs builtin...) so that we could make usefull comparisons
XML is just the way to structure the metadata about the test, the output of
the test per se could be pure ASCII

A+