Speeding up wineserver synchronization objects with shared memory

Robert O'Callahan roc+ at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 24 17:25:06 CST 2001

Ove Kaaven wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > Ove Kaaven wrote:
> > >
> > > There's no such thread, and will never be such a thread (having the
> > > wineserver calling into client threads is an inherently unstable
> > > design).
> >
> > The wineserver need not depend on the client thread responding to its
> > (asynchronous) messages. In this case, if the client ignores the
> > messages,  you get the same effect as if it never releases its mutex,
> > which is not a new failure mode.
>
> Sure it is, if the process isn't holding the mutex. Your design lets a
> process own the mutex without holding it. So if a process acquires it,
> then releases it, does something else for 10 minutes and then hangs, and
> some other process decides it should grab the mutex, then it should be
> allowed to do so, since the original process isn't holding it. But it
> can't...

I call that "not a new failure mode" because it's the same behavior as if
the faulty client process had a bug that caused it to fail to release the
mutex in the first place. If you want a more restricted fault model, you
can limit the vulnerability window by having the client periodically poll
for owned-but-unlocked mutexes and release them to the wineserver.

> > Actually there is another design that doesn't need a per-client
> > thread. Instead it uses a per-client memory block shared between the
> > client and the wineserver.
>
> Alexandre already shot down the shared-memory solution, especially
> disliking solutions that force the wineserver out of its single-threaded
> model, like making it do locking and atomic operations for itself.

You can do it all with non-blocking operations. The shared memory solution
previously proposed had the disastrous property that a misbehaving client
process could interfere with mutexes owned by other processes. It doesn't
have to be that way if you use a separate shared memory block per client.

This could be extended to other shared resources too. But I could believe
that it is too complicated to be worth doing.

Rob
--
[Robert O'Callahan http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~roc 7th year CMU CS PhD student
"Now when Joshua was near Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in