Mixed mode CD's and volume label

David Hagood wowbagger at sktc.net
Tue Jul 3 09:47:03 CDT 2001

I was trying to get Half-Life running under Wine last night, and ran
into a problem with getting the CD label under Wine. Since the HL CD is
a mixed mode data/audio disk (as are most game disks nowadays) Wine
complained with a

We don't have a way of determining the label of a mixed mode CD - Linux
doesn't allow raw access !

However, Xcdroast was easily able to access the data.

As an experiment, I disabled this check in misc/cdrom.c, and it worked
quite happily.

Perhaps this check is out of date. Perhaps it is my system setup:

2.4.6-pre7, Samsung CD-Writer/DVD reader on IDE, ide-scsi module loaded,
Wine configured to use the /dev/scd0 link.

Now, if I could just work out why the OpenGL is flashing...