Lots of #defines OK?

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Thu Jul 19 16:32:49 CDT 2001

> Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> > Not really, but as an alternative solution you could has a structure
> > instead of an array like:
> >
> > typedef struct {
> >   GLYPHNAME A;
> >   GLYPHNAME AE;
> >   GLYPHNAME AEacute;
> >   GLYPHNAME AEsmall;
> >   /* ... */
> > } GLYPHNAMES;
> >
> > Perhaps this is better since it doesn't use the preprocessor.
>
> I not thought of that -- neat idea.  What is the downside of using the
> preprocessor, however?

Well, the preprocessor "pollutes" the namespace in a way that is
sometimes bad and my solution gives IMHO a slightly nicer syntax.

Is this case in don't think it matters so much though,
your orginal solution is fine, in fact is the standard solution
in C to the problem you have AFAIK.

My suggestion is really just brainstorming to give you hopefully a
different perspective of the issue. Also note that your solution is
not possible with languages that don't have pointer aritmetics that C,
fortunately or unluckily depending on how you see it, have.