Marshaling

Daniel Walker diwalker at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 20 21:01:29 CDT 2001

	From what I've read when someone creates a custom interface for COM, an
IDL file is generated, then the MIDL compiler uses the IDL file to
create proxy and stub code that works with the standard COM RPC
functionality.. So under some (most) circumstances wine's COM
implementation would only have to facilitate the sending and recieving
of the marshaled data ..

	Not to minimize the work involved .. The standard marshaling would have
to do all the generic COM interfaces like IUnknown, IStorage, IStream (I
think). Even though full implementations of those would be available .
But most components would have custom interfaces so they would also have
their own marshaling code ..

	If I'm 100% correct then , I guess, there wouldn't be a need for the
type information. Yet it exists .. Unless the type info is used for
something other than marshaling.

							Daniel Walker