VirtualProtect() fixup

Andreas Mohr 520053692817-0001 at
Fri Jun 8 14:51:43 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 12:30:13PM -0700, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Andreas Mohr <a.mohr at> writes:
> > VirtualProtect had two big problems:
> >
> > - undocumented return value
> > - should return protection flags only instead of whole flag setting
> This isn't the case under NT. Which application depends on that?
What isn't the case ? Both fixups ? Or only one of these ?
Well, to be exact, no application.
I just found this out by accident.

IMHO the probability that some applications exist that are too lazy
to supply their own old_prot variable and that check the return value instead
is rather high, so I think that patch is necessary.
Maybe we should add a winver check, though.

Tel. +49 7159 800604