FYI: ControlSpy has stopped working

Andreas Mohr 520053692817-0001 at t-online.de
Sun Jun 10 04:50:52 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 11:25:30AM +0000, Gerard Patel wrote:
> At 11:56 PM 09/06/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Using the current CVS (6/9), certain ControlSpy modules (REBAR and
> >COMBOBOXEX) no longer seem to work, even with the native versions of
> >COMCTL32. The internal child windows in the left pane are no longer drawn.
> >Seems to have occured sometime since 6/1. I will look into it tomorrow after
> >some rest. Strange.
>
> Strange ???

[...window management stuff...]

> I have already sent several patches to work around some of these problems,
> two have
> been applied, one has been ignored so far, but even with this last Wine's
> status is
> beyond the usual breakage level.

Well, this simply means there will be no "official" Wine release for some time
to come.
We have two possibilities:
1. do major changes and debug until it's ready, then commit it
2. do major changes, commit them and wait for the patches to arrive

Obviously 2. means there will be *no* new official release before it's fixed
in its entirety (or at least only relatively "trivial" bugs remain).

Just to make sure that you know what has to be done in such cases :)

Wine is believed to be slightly (!) beyond alpha level, so we should act
accordingly.

And yes, (more or less) the only two applications I tested last week
have been broken in a strange way, too.
(which is not too astonishing, given the extent of that window management
change, and given that one of these apps always had some issues with windows)

Microsoft Windows: Made for the Internet
The Internet: Made for Unix