wine on Alpha (was: Help needed)

Nerijus Baliunas nerijus at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 13 17:31:46 CDT 2001

> Still, you must be aware of a few thing.
> * Wine is not 100% byte order clean.

Alpha seems to be "correct" endian ;)

> * Wine is not 64 bit clean.
>   This is a little worse especially since
>   Win32 often stores pointers in 32 bit integers
>   and this problem really can't be solved in
>   a good way, since extending the size of the storage
>   is not possible at least not if you want to
>   be able to implement a x86 emulator in the
>   future. However I guess it will be possible
>   to force all memory usage to be in the lower
>   32 bits of memory to be able to cope with
>   truncated pointers.

Digital has(d) a lot of very good emulation technologies -
FX!32 which let to run win32 386 apps on NT Alpha with
almost full speed, em86 which runs 386 Linux apps on Linux
Alpha (http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~donaldlf/em86/index.html),
x86emu which is used in XFree86 and MILO to initialize
graphic card's 386 BIOS.

Regards,
Nerijus