Wineserver semantics

Ryan Cumming bodnar42 at bodnar42.dhs.org
Tue Mar 6 17:56:02 CST 2001

On 6 Mar 2001, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by 'exclusive access to the file'. If you
> mean file locking then this is not implemented, so there cannot be any
> race ;-) Currently the client is allowed to cache the descriptor, but
> before each read/write it checks with the server that the cache is
> still valid. There is a race that the handle can be modified between
> the check and the actual read, this will cause either a bad handle
> error or a read from the wrong file; but this is no different from
> what happens under Windows if the client is manipulating handles
> concurrently with a ReadFile.

 What about having the file descriptor cache explictly invaildated? Like,
the server keeps track of which file descriptors the various wine
processes have cached, and if a process closes or performs some locking
operation on a file descriptor, all the other wine proceses that are using
that file descriptor are explictly notified. This way processes can assume
a file descriptor is valid unless told otherwise... would this be any
better performance-wise? Does it fit in to the wineserver architecture
nicely? ;)

-Ryan

--
bodnar42 at bodnar42.dhs.org