Edit control notification fix

Andreas Mohr a.mohr at mailto.de
Fri Mar 9 08:05:20 CST 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:52:56PM +0800, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Andreas Mohr privately reported that some old 16-bit installer
> started to not update its edit control after my patch entitled
> "Do not notify parent of the Edit control on WM_SETTEXT when Edit
> is part of the ComboBox." Investigation has shown that installer
> has its main dialog window defined in resources, and DIALOG_GetControl16()
> gets edit control with style ES_COMBO (0x200) defined there.
> My first attempt to fix the trouble was to simply mask out not
> allowed styles in the DIALOG_GetControl16(): i.e. for edit control
> do style &= ~ES_COMBO. That hack cured the application, but Andreas
Well, that's not exactly true.
You did not do it "for edit control". You did it for *all* controls
in DIALOG_GetControl16() (at least in the patch you sent me).
That's why I objected. I just had to :)

> didn't like that approach. After some thinking, I added yet another
> test into my "Edit Control Test Suit". And here is the result of it.
>
> Changelog:
>     Dmitry Timoshkov <dmitry at codeweavers.com>
>     Do not send notification to parent of an edit control,
>     if parent is a child window. Remove old and not correct patch.

OK. I can't really judge whether that's correct, as I'm not too much into
these kinds of things.

Hopefully it's correct :)

Thanks again,

Andreas Mohr